What are you doing to build your personal brand?
Your reputation is an intangible asset. A brand is an intangible asset. Irreplaceable and ubiquitous, your reputation is your personal brand. BeUbique.
Though not an exhaustive list, the following are just 10 ways to build your person brand…today.
- Create your very own custom URL – see if yourname.com is available or yourcompany.com, depending on what or whom you’re looking to attract, you might even have more than one URL
- Create your personal-professional email address – ditch the standard Gmail/Yahoo, and go with yourname@yourURL.com (see #1)
- Increase your visibility – create and/or buildout your LinkedIn profile, follow people, follow influencers, be in your influencers face (in a thought-provoking, internet commenting sort of way)
- Create personal networking cards – your company cards aren’t always ideal. After all, we’re building your brand. At networking functions, if you collect business cards, be sure to follow up. Follow up. Follow up. Can’t stress this enough. Do not put it off; do it that night.
- Post something useful – thought provoking/industry specific/interests you to each of your social networks, grow your social networks (FB, G+, Twitter)
- Curate content, create content, build your content – market your content – Just as companies are constantly innovating to keep up with their fierce competition, you should be, too. Make some noise. Be disruptive. Which leads me to…
- Become a life-long learner – (learn more here, uNow – ranked 1 of the 13 most disruptive businesses of 2013 by Forbes)
- Start commenting – (I need to heed my own advice on this one) – how can you expect to your increase your visibility (your name = your brand), if you’re just lopping up content vs. adding your commentary – share your thoughts with the world – we want to hear from you!
- Step away from the computer – You heard me. Go broaden your social skills with zero intention of “what’s in it for me?” Groups, Meetups (recently developed an affinity for) foreign language groups, hiking, coding, cooking, women’s, mens, LGBT. Do yourself a favor – download the app, get sucked in browsing various Meetups as I did, and then go Meetup with some like-minded people in your surrounding area (be sure to bring your personal-professional networking cards in case someone asks for your contact info)
- Brandyourself – see where you rank in Google
Not an exhaustive list, doing the above will only help you build your personal brand. Be sure to visit Sam Richter’s post for another Dozen Ways to Build your Personal Brand in an Online World – quite useful if you’re just getting started. Additionally, check out Heather R. Huhman’s 6 Ways to Start Building Your Personal Brand Now.
What are the things you’ve done to build your personal brand?